The Northwest Agriculture Business Center (NABC) contributes to the business viability of agriculture in the northwest region of Washington by increasing the profitability of farm operations through implementation of value-added agricultural projects. Processing access is critical to the success of small to mid-sized animal farmers. NABC’s new Mobile Poultry Processing Unit (MPPU) is a custom-designed, three-partition processing facility, built on a 26 foot truck frame, created to serve these producers. The Unit will be driven and overseen by the MPPU Processing Supervisor. The Processing Supervisor will manage and perform work in the MPPU, providing professional and sanitary processing services, including cut and wrap, producing a high-quality, safe, value-added meat product for local poultry producers.
Responsibilities and Requirements:
- Ability to effectively lead a small crew and fast-paced processing line.
- Assist NABC staff with training Processing Technicians as required.
- Work with Processing Technician to perform pre-travel and on-site MPPU set up.
- Safely operate a 26′ truck; drive crew and MPPU to processing sites and storage lot.
- Excellent time-management and punctuality
- Good work-flow skills; ability to lead crew in keeping processing line running smoothly
- Follow directions and work with minimal supervision.
- Willing and able to work with live poultry (and occasionally rabbits); load into holding crates and restraining devices; perform humane slaughter.
- Use scalder tank, commercial plucking mechanism, sharp knives and other instruments requiring attention to safety as needed to properly eviscerate and/or skin carcasses.
- Ability to work effectively and efficiently in a small slaughter room with co-workers.
- Ability to lift up to 40 lbs.
- Maintain highest level of food safety practices throughout processing.
- Oversee and perform thorough cleaning and sanitizing of MPPU interior, equipment and implements between service sites and for storage.
- Maintain accurate sanitation and customer records.
- Maintain MPPU maintenance records and work with NABC staff to arrange for scheduled truck and equipment maintenance and upkeep.
- Maintain supply records; work with NABC staff to ensure supplies are kept in stock
- Maintain professionalism and provide excellent customer service.
- Other tasks as assigned by MPPU Processing Supervisor or NABC Project Management staff.
- Ability to provide 2 professional references at time of application.
- Must have current Washington State driver’s license and clean driving record
- Self-motivated, quick learner
- Prior poultry handling and processing experience/knowledge
- Good writing and communication and leadership skills, using English
- Possess basic computer skills: email & Internet, word processing, forms, etc.
- Ability to pay attention to details
- Skilled with, or willingness to learn, correct and safe use of all processing and packaging tools and equipment
- Able to work methodically, and stand for long periods in hot or cold environments
- Flexible to work independently or as part of a team as needed
Compensation is commensurate with experience and qualifications of candidate.
Pay range: $16.50-$19.50 / hour + benefits (includes vacation and sick leave).
This position is open for immediate hire, and the hiring process will be open until the position is filled.
This is a part-time position, with up to 40 hours per week + possible overtime. Hours are flexible. May operate on a rotating schedule with variable days off. Schedule is typically Sunday – Saturday. Day can start as early as 6:00 a.m. and end as late as 6:00 p.m.
In compliance with the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986, the NABC will hire only those individuals who are authorized to work in the United States. All individuals will be required to submit documentary proof of their identity and employment authorization.
Employees, members and the general public may not smoke in the NABC’s public facilities or vehicles.
How to apply:
Email cover letter and resume or Generic WorkSource application and 2 professional references to: David@AgBizCenter.org Subject line: MPPU Processing Technician
- Have the specific position on your resume and cover letter or Generic WorkSource Application identifying how you meet the required qualifications
- Generic WorkSource applications may be found by going to: http://www.wa.gov/esd/guides/docs/generic_job_app.doc
Northwest Agriculture Business Center is an Equal Opportunity Employer
committed to Affirmative Action and welcomes referrals of all qualified
applicants regardless of their race, color, religion, sex, national origin, or
status as a qualified individual with a disability or protected veteran.