The seminar includes presentations and demonstrations by sustainability education leaders, exposure to inspiring projects, hands-on practice with techniques that work, and reflective conversations with seminar faculty and fellow educators.
Seminar topics will expand the content of Smart by Nature:
* Schooling for Sustainability: What it is and why it matters
* Food: Reinventing school food — Teaching sustainability through a focus on food, featuring a preview and discussion of the PBS special, Nourish
* The Campus: Buildings, grounds, and school practices as tools for teaching
* The Community: The school is an apprentice community for learning the arts of living in an interdependent world
* Teaching and Learning: Expanding beyond the four walls of the classroom
We encourage participation by teams from schools and districts.
Delicious breakfast and lunch on all three days.
Books and video resources:
Smart by Nature: Schooling for Sustainability
Big Ideas: Linking Food, Culture, Health, and the Environment